Monday, June 30, 2008

Removing of the Cast





As most of you know, about the last week of April I got a phone call from the school telling me that Madison was hurt and I had to come and get her. I have to admit that I didn't think it could possibly be very bad, I mean, she is slightly dramatic sometimes, so I thought maybe she was just milking the situation. When I got there, she was wearing a sling made from a torn up bandage fabric and about a ream of that long recycled paper. She had fallen off the monkey bars and landed smack-dab on her wrist with all her weight. When I asked her what happened, she said, "I was trying to do the monkey bars, and I made it all the way to the second one, but I was going to fast and then, I fell." She actually was pretty brave, and once we got it x-rayed we found out it was broken pretty good...right through the growth plate, which meant we couldn't just get a cast, we had to go to the orthopedic surgeon and get it x-rayed again, cast...wait two weeks, x-rayed, cast again and then monitored for the next five weeks to make sure it was healing okay.

She healed up just fine, and these lovely pictures are of the removal of her cast. At first, you can see she is excited. The second picture she is still happy, but a little nervous. By the third picture she has realized that the evil looking saw sitting next to her is going to be used on her, and she is not happy about it. I didn't get a picture of the mayhem that ensued when the doctor tried to turn on the saw and saw off the cast...but those of you with children can imagine what happened. The last two pictures show Madison looking into what she called her "nasty" cast (when the doctor asked if she wanted to keep it, she looked at him with disgust and vehemently said "no way") and showing you her arm....eeeeewwww! It was so gross! She insisted on going right to the bathroom and she tried to scrub off all the grossness...I tried to be positive for her, but YUCK!

She now tells everyone she sees that she got her cast off, which is funny because most people don't have any way of knowing she had one on in the first place. And she is also very sure that she is not going to get on the monkey bars any time soon. We passed her school the other day and she said, "Mom, those monkey bars are still there! You need to call the principal and tell her that those monkey bars are dangerous and they should take them down." I concur.

2 Comments:

At 8:54 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Madison is so beautiful and brave. I love all the pictures, thank you for posting.

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger Cheryl said...

Wow! What an ordeal for a little princess!! I'm glad that everything healed successfully!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home