Sunday, March 09, 2008

Letterboxing



I was recently asked to teach a class for Relief Society about fun and inexpensive things to do with your family. I was at a loss, really....so I called Melanie, and she suggested Letterboxing. Brian and the kids and I decided to go out and give it a shot. I looked up some sites online and found some letterboxes very close to where we live....and off we went! We were able to find one of the three we went looking for. One of them we just couldn't find...and the other one is gone due to some construction in the area. It was pretty cool to find, though, and Madison thought it was awesome.

Anyone have any cool ideas for fun things to do as a family or a couple that are free or inexpensive? The letterboxing was awesome, you should try it!

3 Comments:

At 10:03 PM, Blogger Cory said...

I've never heard of letterboxing before, but from the page you showed, I'm assuming it's a low-tech version of geocaching. That does sound like something Ty will get a kick out of when he's a bit older.

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Chef Messy said...

Matthew and I go letterboxing all the time (when it's warm enough!) and he loves it! Still haven't tried geocaching, though I hear that's fun too.

I think finding inexpensive family activities really depends on where you live, but one thing we've really tried to do here is keep a constant eye on the local calendar and community bulliten boards. There are always random things that you might never think to go to (random blue-grass festivals, ghost tours, etc.) that you might never think to go to, but that end up being a lot of fun. I hear so many people complaining about how boring it is to live where we live (Lexington is tiny!), but we've had a blast here, and I think it's just because we've really been involved in the local scene.

I'm curious to see what other ideas people have though!

P.S. Did Jen tell you we're moving back to Idaho?

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger Cheryl said...

We always try to really get to know the place where we live and so we explore. Day hikes are fun and can be very inexpensive. Keeping an eye on the community happenings is fun too and a great way to get to know your town.

I researched letterboxing a couple of years ago, but never really got into it. They are everywhere!! We will have to look into it again!

You know, a 4 hour drive to visit your favorite Aunt would be a really fun and relatively inexpensive thing to do!!

LOTS of love!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home