Friday, October 03, 2008

September Canning Adventures

Pears
Lovely Assistants
Soup....urgh!
Gorgeous Syrup
As usual, I spent the first part of September canning. This year I got three boxes of pears from my parent's house, a bag of peaches and a giant box of tomatoes from the farmer's market. I ended up canning a million jars of quartered pears. In my attempt to make tomato sauce from my tomatoes, I ended up making and canning tomato soup...don't ask...it was traumatic. I also made peach-raspberry syrup this year...it is DIVINE, and the most beautiful color you've ever seen! I think that I'll make syrup out of my fruit next year, it is pretty easy and waaaay more satisfying than sauce turned soup.

I put up a couple of pictures of the finished product...and a couple of pictures of my assistants...trust me, the one of Ben sleeping is the best way for him to help with canning! And yes, he fell asleep with crackers in his hands. I was trying to bribe him with cartoons and snacks, and he ended up konking out after about fifteen minutes, yay!

1 Comments:

At 3:07 PM, Blogger EM said...

Hooray for canning! The syrup really is a beautiful color- good job!
Some day I'll tell you of our grape jelly that turned into syrup. Ah, the joys and traumas of canning! hee hee

 

Post a Comment

<< Home