Friday, July 08, 2005

Whoa!!!!

Okay, so I guess we get the message that you all are wondering if we are living in a grass hut and living off of cockroaches......

Well, our new apartment is really nice. Two bedrooms, living room, dining room, kitchen, laundry area, two bathrooms...and the most gorgeous view in all of Taiwan. And I really do mean that. Plus it is up higher on a "mountain" and farther away from the city, so it usually isn't as hot or as stinky. This apartment is also furnished. It was where the last couple from the US lived, and they left us a bunch of stuff...food, toilet paper...you know. And I must say that when I woke up the first morning and watched the sunrise from my bedroom window.....wow.....I knew that I was in love. Taiwan really is beautiful, if you can get away from the big city and all of the people. Don't worry, we aren't drinking the water...and we are eating lots of good food, actually. One of the three things I know how to say in Chinese is dumpling. That's because dumplings are awesome!!

Madison certainly misses her people. But she is also doing very well. She loooooves school, and yesterday she told me that she "ate that yucky food all gone", so I guess we can say that her hunger strike is over. She was refusing to eat anything that resembled Chinese food. Poor little girl was living off of peanut butter and crackers....and fruit, any kind of fruit that we could find her.

We live on the fifth floor of our building. No swimming pool or gym, but, like I said...a gorgeous view. And I'll sacrifice the swimming pool for the size and awesomeness of our apartment, anyday!! We'll send pictures soon, then you can all be jealous of our hardwood floors and huge apartment and big nasty bees that fly in occasionally.

We are going today to see if we can get a phone. Sooo....after today you will know if we have a landline or a cell phone. I found a website that sells cheap phonecards for international......here's the address:
www.noblecom.com

Brian has stared teaching already. He taught a summer camp all week...and it was interesting. The thing about teaching here is that there really isn't much of a curriculum, or really much direction, so they kind of have to make it up as they go along. Scary prospect for someone like me, but Brian has been doing alright. I actually have to teach on Thursday next week, my first day!! I'm scared!!! But I'm sure I'll be alright.

Well, I guess that's all for now...but we'll get back to you as soon as possible. Hopefully we'll soon have a phone!!!! Then I can call you all and talk for days! Tonight I will get our new address and a few phone numbers for you, and then I'll try to post them soon...it is Friday, so I don't know if I'll be able to post until Monday, but we'll see.

Love, us...

7 Comments:

At 5:29 AM, Blogger Dan said...

Whoa! I was one happy man last night when I received your phone call and talked for a while. It was good to find out more about what is happening and how you like things, etc. I'm feeling sorry for Maddy and the food situation. I hope it improves for her. Krista, thanks for all of the info especially about the phone card site. I will go there later when we are at Trav's and Mel's and purchase one. It is 5:30 a.m. here and we are just getting ready to head to SLC for our flight to Baltimore. More on that later. It sounds beautiful over there and I'm glad you have a nice apartment. I hope you are staying cool. Please enjoy a dumpling for me. It sounds rather plain to me, but must be good. I remember Travis telling me how good they were when he was on his mission. Keep in touch. Brian said Madison was catching onto the language pretty fast. That is awesome.

Love you all.

 
At 5:45 AM, Blogger Dan said...

It is great to hear from you again, and that you are getting settled and enjoying yourselves. We wish that we could see your sunrise and sunsets, it sounds wonderful. Hopefully we will be able to talk to you soon. What kind of food besides dumplings have you tried?? Is it expensive to eat there?? Have you been to an open market?? Is there really a Costco there, and do they have American food?? Just some of the hundred questions we are curious about. Give everyone a hug and kiss for me.

Love you guys....

 
At 6:00 AM, Blogger Dan said...

Trav and Mel,

I know you will be reading this. Our cell number is (208) 251-2258 just in case you need to get a hold of us tonight or for anyone else that needs it.

It will be on except during the flight.

Later-----------love you all.
dad

 
At 6:03 AM, Blogger Dan said...

Oops I pulled an Angela and posted as Tammy. Our well.........

 
At 7:11 AM, Blogger Travis said...

Yea, Taiwan is really beautiful. Wait till you see the beaches down in Kenting.

 
At 7:38 AM, Blogger Melanie said...

We didn't think you were in a grass hut, we just are dying to know all about your adventure. Like: how was your flight? How long does Maddy go to school each day? How long does it take you to get to your school? Do you have a car?

Glad your appt is awesome. Good luck teaching

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Cory said...

You know...I've heard about little kids who refuse to speak English at home (or when they come back to the States). Angie and I think Maddy might just be one who would try something like that! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home