Wednesday, November 23, 2005

The Great Cheesecake Caper

Look everyone....I'm making a mess.....uh....I mean, cheesecakes!!

I just wanted to show you how many bowls it actually takes me to make three large and one small cheesecake......

Since it has been this Hobbs' family tradition to make a pumpkin cheesecake for the past four years...I decided that the tradition would live on.......even if I had to made it by hand with no electric mixer, and cook it in a toaster oven....and use weird crackers ominously called "Digestives" as a substitute for graham crackers. Apparently here in Taiwan, people have no use for graham crackers, so they simply do not sell them anywhere. Ugh. It almost foiled my plan. But, after careful sluething...and many taste tests, I decided on the Digestives as a substitute. I made a miniature cheesecake first as an experiment, and when it turned out to be very tasty...I was in business!

Here is Brian whipping up my famous pumpkin cheesecake.....

And this one is Melanie's famous Junior's cheesecake.......

This should give you an idea of what I'm working with here......not exactly state of the art equipment, but the desperate get creative!!!

And here is one of the delicious pumpkin cheesecakes.....just about done......three hours later!
All in all, a fun experience. Although I will be very happy to return to the United State and use my KitchenAid mixer and bake in a real oven.....but I do have to say, these awesome Taiwanese cheesecake pans are coming home with me! The springform pan that I used for the Junior's cheesecake was the right width...9 inches as prescribed...unfortunately it was not deep enough to hold all of the yummy cheesecake filling after the sponge cake layer had been baked in it.....hmmmm, dilemma! I'm still working on a solution. I think it will probably involve making more cheesecakes!!!!! Why does every small project turn into a HUGE nightmare!?!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Think about us poor people in Taiwan while you eat your yummy turkey and mashed potatoes and stuffing!!!

6 Comments:

At 6:23 AM, Blogger Travis said...

looks like a lot of work. When you say "digestives", I think I know exactly what you are talking about. I used to get those all the time.

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger Dan said...

i miss this cheesecake Krista. we didn't get any this year....dang.

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger Melanie said...

I'm so proud of you! The pumpkin cheesecake looks great. Hope you had an awesome turkey day. I'll be thinking about you when I get up to shop in about 4 1/2 hours hahaha

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger Melanie said...

Hey what's your pumpking cheesecake recipe?

 
At 12:29 AM, Blogger Krista said...

I actually probably have this recipe permanently engraved in my mind by now:

1 1/2 cups graham crackers
5 tbls butter, melted
1 cup plus 1 tbls sugar
3 8-oz pkgs cream cheese, room temp
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup canned pumpkin
3 eggs
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
(or use 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice instead of last three ingredients)

Preheat oven to 350 F. Make the crust by combining the cracker crumbs with melted butter and 1 tbls sugar. Stir well to coat all crumbs, don't make a paste. Press crumbs into springform pan two-thirds of the way up. Bake for 5 minutes, then set aside. Combine cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla-mix until smooth. Add pumpkin, eggs, and spices and beat until smooth and creamy. Pour the filling into the pan. Bake for 60-70 minutes, or until only jiggles in the very center when the pan is tapped. Remove from oven and allow to cool to room temperature. Put into refrigerator and chill. When chilled, remove sides of pan and serve...with or without whipped cream.

TaDa! There it is...it's actually pretty simple, just takes a little bit of effort, and it tastes really good! I don't really like pie crust, so this is a perfect substitute for pumpkin pie for me.

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger Melanie said...

Awesome! Grant's preschool teacher gave hime a pumpkin for Halloween. I was going to throw it out and Travis didn't want to waste it. So he cut it in half and baked it today. He wants to make pumpkin cheesecake! haha We'll let you know how it turns out..thanks for the recipe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home