Thursday, November 10, 2005

Kaohsiung, Every Day


Okay, so here is a view of our favorite street stand for noodles. It is a "restaurant" that is close to Brian's school...and it is slightly underground. I'm not sure if the underground thing is for heat reduction or because it used to be a mechanic's shop or what...but the noodles are soooo good! Oh, and here is a warning: the following pictures are graphic and display life and people as they really look here in Taiwan. Just wanted to make sure you were prepared....the following may not be suitable for rich American viewers......

Mmmmmmmmm....noodles are goooood! For those of you who speak Chinese (okay, so this is for Travis) this is our gan mien treat! It is really good, and they also bring us a big bowl of burn your mouth off boiling hot "soup" which is actually just broth with leeks in it. I made the mistake of taking a huge spoonful and sucking it right up.....WOW!! I have never put something that hot in my mouth before, instantly I could tell that half of my tastebuds had been vaporized. I still can't taste anything.


Here is Madison enjoying her noodles. She is really funny with chopsticks...she really wants to use them but can't quite get it. She uses one chopstick and her fingers...I tried to tell her to just use her fingers, but she really wanted to use chopsticks like us. It was funny.


Okay, we have no idea what this guy was doing. I guess he was just holding up the sign until the proper authorities could be contacted....er....something!


This is just a shot of the street...I'm trying to give you an idea of what it looks like here. It is always very crowded, and everything here just feels crowded...for instance, look at how close together all the shops are and how narrow the streets are. It is a completely different feeling from Idaho or Kansas...or really anywhere I've been in the US. Although if you have ever been to Chinatown in NYC, you can get a general idea...only you have to think of Chinatown on a weekend when everyone and their dog is there. Literally. And the big difference there is that it is like this aaaallllll the time! Oh! And if you look closely in this picture you will find our finger-lickin' good friend, Mr. Colonel Sanders!

2 Comments:

At 1:51 PM, Blogger Dan said...

Great posting. This wins the award of the day. I thought it was very interesting to see the sites like you posted them. Do some more like this. It was also fun to see Madison trying to use the chopsticks. I still can't use them myself, but it appears Krista is getting quite good at it. Also, I couldn't see that KFC you were talking about in that one picture.

The pictures at Brian's school were also interesting. The hats..........wow we used to have a few hats like that in our basement. Remember? Travis brought some home. They finally ended up at the DI. There really seem to be wearing them there!

Thanks guys for the posting. Great pictures.

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger Travis said...

Cool Pics. I really liked the noodles too. Madison seems to be getting used to the "yucky food". And Dad-- The KFC is in the upper right, it's a bit blurred but you can still see it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home